Introducing Meherrin AG
We’re a family-run business across 8 states that supports farmers to produce millions of acres of high-quality, high-yield corn, peanuts, soybeans, and wheat.
65 years of partnering with generations of farmers
Between all of our companies at Meherrin, we’re a farm to table business. Founded in 1958, we continue to operate a a family business with a simple philosophy:
Be big enough to serve and small enough to care.
Our Story: About Meherrin
Over the Years
- The Barnes family began farming peanuts in 1917 in northeastern North Carolina
The First Company
- After World War II, George Dallas Barnes joined 3 other families to start a peanut company working directly with American peanut farmers, known as Severn Peanut Company
Meherrin AG Formed
- Meherrin Agricultural and Chemical Company was formed to provide products and services to farmers in the Southeastern United States
- Hampton Farms was founded to complete the circle of farm to table services. Hampton Farms roasts, packs, and markets finished peanut products direct to customers
- Mutt Barnes’ son, Dallas Barnes took over leadership of Severn Peanut and Meherrin Agricultural and Chemical Company.
- Severn Peanut company expands into the Southwest with plant in Portales, New Mexico
- Meherrin establishes an Agricultural retail presence in South Carolina
- Meherrin Agricultural & Chemical Company made a significant purchase expanding their retail presence in GA
- Meherrin Agricultural & Chemical Company expanded into grain services through the purchase of several grain buying facilities in NC and VA
- GA business continues growth with acquisition of Barber Fertilizer in Bainbridge, GA
- Halifax Fertilizer is acquired and becomes a part of newly formed Tri-Link fertilizer offering custom made bag fertilize
of farmers who trust Meherrin products and services for their farms
of acres of crop our farmers produce annually with our products
of employees at Meherrin that make what we do possible across 8 states
WHAT MAKES US DIFFERENT
We’re committed to agriculture, growth and our community.
This means we focus on doing what’s right for the customer, creating high-end, highly tested products we’d use on our own farms, employing skilled employees that understand farming and crop yield and delivering top-notch customer service along the way.
Our local non-profit and fundraisers support local families.
In 2017 we saw an opportunity to give back to our local community and surrounding areas after Hurricane Florence. Meherrin On Mission was established as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation, and is solely focused on seeing the lives of people impacted through the life-changing power of Jesus Christ. MOM will serve in three areas: mission projects, disaster relief and educational scholarships.